This morning we wake up in Africa, North Africa to be more precise. Slightly cloudy morning and a pleasant 25 degrees at 7 am.
We have a free shuttle bus which will take us to near the centre of Tangiers. It is very hilly with very narrow streets and alleys. The sea side area is flat and lovely, but less than 100 metres from the water it rises up steeply. The bus drops us off at a lovely park area and we are on our own. I take a photo of some landmarks in case I get lost. We go further up the hill to a church and a mosque and I am wary about too much change of direction. We start to head back down to where the markets and stalls are.
It is a clean city, but the alleyways can be confusing. Passing the stall holders they are inviting you inside to look at their merchandise. We were planning to go to the Kasbah but have been warned about the persistence of the sellers. I can imagine it would be twice as harassing as we have experienced to date. In the end we never made it to the Kasbah. There were too many turns and twists and alleyways that would have confused me no end. We did not have a map, not that it would have helped much as there did not appear to be any street names.
We did find some lovely and interesting areas though. On two occasions fellow travellers asked me if I knew where the bus pick up and was and I was able to point them in the right direction. We made it back to the bus ok and then returned to the ship. We spent nearly two hours off the ship and while it was not warm as other days it was starting to heat up. After we got back we did hear some guests having seen how steep and windy the roads were decided not to get off the bus and return straight to the ship. The bus ride was excellent as it took us through the old part of the city and then on the way back it showed us the newer areas, which are quite modern.







Hope you enjoyed watching the stupid loser lose mum, we did !!!! - Kate
ReplyDelete